Welcome to Kootenai County!
Established December 22, 1864 by the Second Territorial Legislature with Seneaquoteen, a trading post below Lake Pend Oreille, as the county seat. Rathdrum replaced Seneaquoteen as county seat in 1881 and Coeur d'Alene replaced Rathdrum in 1908. Named for the Kutenai Indians who inhabited the area when the white man arrived. The word "Kootenai" is derived from the Kutenai word meaning "water people."
Additional Historical Background
"Kootenai County is named for a local Indian tribe. Mountain men and trappers were in the area in the early 1880's. The Sacred Heart Mission, first established near St. Maries, was moved to a site 10 miles east of Coeur d'Alene Lake in 1846 at Cataldo, where the mission building still exists and was repaired and strengthened in 1976 as a Bicentennial project. Captain John Mullan, who built the Mullan Road through the Fourth of July Canyon, surveyed the Coeur d'Alene Lake shore in 1859. In the 1860's the Wild Horse Trail from Spokane through Rathdrum Prairie was used by prospectors to get to the gold diggings in British Columbia. Traffic to the Montana mines at Helena was routed over a portion of that rail. Agriculture, lumbering, and tourism are the chief industries of the county, which attracts hundreds of Canadians each summer." - The Idaho Almanac, 1977 Edition, State of Idaho.
Hayden Lake and Spirit Lake.
We would like to thank Vikki Gray, Lucinda VanLandingham and Judy White, previous coordinators, for all the work they did on this site.
Updated March 2014, Sharon McConnel, Ass't State Coordinator
Copyright © 2006 - idgenweb.org. All Rights Reserved.
The IDGenWeb Project is a genealogical and resource collection for the state of Idaho and its counties. The state and counties has many volunteers who are dedicated to promoting free genealogical and research resources from the state's rich ancestral history.